Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Passion and Life Purpose

Passion and Your Life Purpose
During the holiday season, I find myself thinking more about my friends and the impact they have had on my life journey. I have had the fortune of meeting some amazing people in this thing called life. Each person I meet has a passion and a purpose in life. Sometimes it’s a challenge to find that passion or purpose because obstacles are placed in our path, but we find a way to overcome and persevere and get back on track.
I’m reading a great book written by my friend, Captain Garland Shewmaker. We worked together for many years at the Delta Queen Steamboat Company. His book Once Upon A River, published by authorhouse is a journey through his passion and his life purpose. At age 16, he took a job on a towboat and never looked back. He is a respected river pilot and master and it is an honor to know him. “This is a story of growing up on the river boats, that is, starting from scratch, earning your keep, making a little money have a dab of fun along the way.” “First, I would like to explain the difference in a fairy tale and a river story: A fairy tale starts this way: “Once upon a time” A river story begigs with “this ain’t no lie” “The old saying goes, if you wear out one pair of shoes on the river, you’re there to say. I have worn out several pairs and it ain’t no lie.”
Another friend grew up in a home where her Irish Catholic mother and Mormon father both became disenchanted with religion and chose not to raise their daughter in an organized religion. My friend started attending a Presbyterian church with a neighbor. She found her passion and life purpose and is now working with an amazing ministry in Philadelphia and has touched more youth and adult lives than she will ever know. She is a joy in my life.
My brother-in-law grew up in a very strict household, focused on academics and not pursuing passions. When he married my sister, she encouraged his passion. His passion is photography and his life purpose now is to bring the life and joy of his photographs to the world.
I know that my life purpose is connected to New Orleans. I know it’s time to follow my dreams. Today when I was thinking about these amazing people in my life, I decided I must go to New Orleans this weekend and rejuvenate. I’ll be town over the weekend and hope to reconnect with my friends and rejoice in the city I love! Stay tuned!

Peace