Saturday, February 27, 2010

Bringing New Orleans to me and my friends

There are so many exciting things happening in the city I love. Since I can’t physically be in New Orleans right now, I am bringing New Orleans to me and my friends through my blog. I find myself still living in football. In fact, I have yet to see any Olympic games. Instead I find myself going to ESPN.COM to the NFL section and reading about our amazing boys in black and gold, our SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS…WHO DAT BABY!

May 5th will be here before we know it and the new Mayor will take office. Mitch Landrieu gave his third news conference on February 24 with inspiring words and a call for more civic involvement. According to the Times Picayune article by Frank Donze, quoting Mayor Landrieu, “I want the people to remember what it feels like to win and to be happy because it’s worth fighting for. And it does require a fight…and as wonderful as it was and as hopeful as we are, I ask the people of New Orleans to remember that we still have streets that are unsafe, schools that don’t teach well, not enough jobs, roads yet to be repaired, a City Hall that doesn’t work and a very, very long list of chores that need to be done…The road will be long and hard, and it will require from all of us more than just sitting in the stands, cheering, or sitting on the sides of a parade route shouting, Throw me something, mister…We watched. They played. We yelled. And they threw. It’s time for us now to get on the field. We’re not spectators anymore. We are not the 12th man. We, in fact, are the team, the people of the city. So today it’s time to get down to business and to begin the very hard and tedious task of governing well for the common good.” His words certainly inspire me and hopefully all the citizens of New Orleans to move forward. He has also created a movement called Transition New Orleans which encourages people to move back and also for citizens to give opinions on how to move the city forward. I have sent my resume and hope to be a part of this hopeful change in New Orleans. You can check it out at www.transitionneworleans.com .

New Orleans is not a city to take it slow, even during Lent. The parades just keep on comin’!! Next weekend brings back a great parade that has not rolled since Katrina hit the city in 2005. On Saturday, March 6, The Italian-American St. Joseph’s Day Parade is at 6:00 p.m. in the French Quarter. The Grand Marshall: Chef David Greco. On Sunday, March 7, catch the Irish-Italian-Islenos Community Parade in Chalmette. The parade rolls at noon. Friday, March 12, Jim Monaghan’s Annual Irish Parade rolls in the French Quarter at 6:30 p.m. As is the custom, the parade ends at Molly’s at the Market. Saturday March 13, don’t miss the Irish Channel St. Pat’s Parade (one of my personal favs). The parade rolls at noon uptown/Irish Channel. Sunday, March 14, the St. Patrick’s Parade rolls in Metairie at noon. It’s also rumored to be the date of the Mardi Gras Indian’s Super Sunday. And the celebration to truly honor St. Patrick takes place on Wednesday, March 17 at Parasol’s Restaurant and Bar. It’s a memorable experience to say the least.

I continue to miss the city I love and know I’ll be home soon.

Peace,