Sunday, March 21, 2010

My Visit to the City I Love

Ok, so I can finally write about my amazing trip to New Orleans last week. It’s taken a week to really absorb the energy and excitement that is around the city. I landed on Thursday and had the pleasure of attending the Louisiana Restaurant Association Pub Crawl. The theme this year is “We Live to Eat”, I can’t think of a more appropriate slogan for this city and state.
Friday I was pounding the pavement again to connect for a job. If you haven’t visited the New Orleans Convention and Visitors Bureau at 2010 St. Charles, you just must. It’s a great building and the staff is amazing. I had the pleasure of meeting Arlene Johnson, who worked for Delta Queen in the 90’s but truly is the voice of the city. She loves the city and is an ambassador to the city going above and beyond the call of duty for the city she loves.
I met a new twitter friend Sheri at one of the hippest bars in the city, very European, it’s called Mayorcampdeville and I urge you all to check it out when in the city. It’s located on Campdeville St. in the Warehouse District.
Tranistion New Orleans is moving forward and taking applications, a light is shining on the city with the new Mayor and change will happen!
The Irish Channel Parade on Saturday lived up to its memory as one of the best parades of the year, you just have to watch out for the flying cabbages!
I know my blog is dedicated to the city I love, but this week I need to divert and promote an amazing new singer, songwriter and her group. Her name is Mia Carruthers and the group is Mia Carruthers and the Retros. Her recent EP is entitled “We will grow”, you can check it out on I-Tunes. She is up and coming and I’m all about supporting independent music. I know I will see her soon on the national stage!
I’ll be back in the city on April 8th to look for work and also enjoy my favorite festival, the French Quarter Festival!

Until next week,
Peace!