Friday, May 28, 2010

The People of New Orleans

It's been two weeks since I came home to the city I love. My new job is great and I work with amazing people. Since returning I have had the opportunity to meet new friends all born and raised here. All weathered Katrina and still bear battle scars, some are still trying to rebuild. I live in a quaint neighborhood in Mid-City. My dear friends Sharon and Phil offered me a place so I could become reacquainted with the city and decide on where to live. Mid-City is a neighborhood, the kind that Dr. Ray Oldenberg speaks of in his book "The Great Good Place". Neighbors watch out for each other, we share laughter, food, beer, wine and anything else. We sit on our stoop and talk about our days, the oil spill and what music we want to see during the week and weekend. We listen to WWOZ broadcasting from the house across the street. Last weekend the HBO Series Treme hosted a crawfish boil to thank the neighborhood for the inconvenience of the film crew. We all agreed that neighborhood block parties need to be organized so we know everyone from our surrounding streets not just our quaint block. We have dogs and cats. We walk the pets if our neighbors can't or if we just feel the need to have some doggie time. From the Friday I arrived, I was considered a part of the family. You don't find this in most American cities today, this makes New Orleans stand out.
As I shop, work and re-explore the city I am hearing personal stories of Katrina and the coming back of the community. The stories are heart wrenching and touch deep down into my soul, but they also inspire me. The people of New Orleans are a tenacious group. No matter the beating,they will come back stronger than ever. They love life, food, beverages, festivals and always have a reason to parade and celebrate. Yesterday, I met a cashier who was commenting I was purchasing a lot of coat hangers. When I mentioned I had just moved back because I can't imagine living anywhere else in the world, she started to get teary. She told me she lived in lakeview and that Katrina destroyed her home and it still is not rebuilt. She left the city for 11 months, but was so homesick she came back and struggles with nightmares but it's home. I told her that after Katrina I knew I wanted to come back and be a part of the revitalizing of the city. She said, "we need more people like you!" Now, that brought tears to my eyes and I gave her the biggest, tightest hug I could and told her, "Welcome Home, we will make a difference."

Peace