Monday, June 14, 2010

People, Places and Reasons for Being

I just returned from a fabulous weekend in Natchez, Mississippi. I was in town to attend a Steamboat Reunion. Last year during French Quarter Festival, the first-ever Steamboat Reunion was organized. By the time we sailed on Friday evening aboard the Natchez Steamboat, 120 friends reconnected and we realized we are a family, not just friends. Over this past year, this family has grown stronger thanks to social networking on Facebook and word of mouth. Our beloved steamboats are no longer in operation, which is a tragedy of historic proportions. The Mississippi Queen sits in a shipyard in Harvey, LA waiting for her end as scrap. The Delta Queen is dying a slow death docked as a hotel in Chattanooga, TN and the American Queen is in Texas with a skeleton crew keeping her alive. She is the final hope of being sold and giving America a piece of history back. I had not see most of this group of fellow steamboaters for more than 15 years before our reunion last year. It was great to see old friends and meet new ones over the weekend. More on the reunion in this blog later this week.

You know, sometimes we don't know why certain circumstances come our way. As we are trying to figure it out, we might get smacked with something out of left field and we finally realize our reason for being. It can be a friend who just received frightening news or a friend who is facing the end of a marriage or a friend who is graduating and moving on to the next step into adult life. Getting back to New Orleans was a passion for me and everyday I am thankful to be here. I now find myself here for more important reasons and that is to be support for my family here. And when I am in need of support, my family will be here for me. My life journey has taught me many lessons. Life is not to be taken lightly, it can end in a split second, so it's important to keep a positive outlook, find inner peace and let the people in your life know how important they are.

Our marsh lands and our beautiful Gulf Coast will never be the same, but we are a strong people who will persevere, re-build, replenish our environment and support each other along the way. So when you read about a fundraiser to assist our fellow Louisiana families, support them. The New Orleans Saints are doing just that by raffling off a Super Bowl ring! Go to Saints.com and purchase your tickets. And to that I say, "Bless You Boys!"

This blog is dedicated to my sister Laurie who left my life 14 years ago, RIP my friend.

Peace,